1. Background Applications are invited for this position at the European Police Office (Europol). Europol is located in The Hague, The Netherlands, and its main tasks are the following: a) to collect, store, process, analyse and exchange information and intelligence; b) to aid investigations in the Member States, in particular by forwarding all relevant information to the national units; c) to ask the competent authorities of the Member States concerned to initiate, conduct or coordinate investigations and to suggest the setting up of joint investigation teams in specific cases; d) to provide intelligence and analytical support to Member States in connection with major international events; e) to prepare threat assessments, strategic analyses and general situation reports relating to its objective, including organised crime threat assessments. For more information please visit Europol’s website www.europol.europa.eu.
2. Purpose of the post Within the Capabilities department, the IT Solutions Development unit, with over 25 staff members, is mainly responsible for software development of custom IT solutions (web and client server applications) as well as for integration and customization of standard off-the-shelf solutions for both law enforcement and administrative purposes. The successful candidate will be mainly responsible for writing code, testing, and analyzing software modules and applications with the emphasis on multi-tiered applications. This includes researching, designing, documenting, and modifying software specifications throughout the production life cycle. The successful candidate will also analyze and amend software errors in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide status reports to project manager and team lead.
- 3. Tasks and responsibilities The successful applicant will have to carry out the following main duties:
- Actively participate as a developer during the application development phases in an iterative and incremental manner;
- Create unit, integration, performance and other tests;
- Create and maintain project-related technical documentation work, including design and deployment documentation;
- Keep requirement changes, system model and work performed by other developers synchronised with each other during the whole software and project lifecycle;
- Elaborate and discuss different options for ICT based solutions/improvements;
- Perform any other task assigned by the development team leader in charge or by the Head of the IT Solutions Development Unit to assist in dealing with ICT related issues.
- 4. Requirements 4.1 Eligibility criteria: a. Candidates must
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen;
- Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the applicable laws on military service;
- Produce appropriate character references as to the suitability for the performance of the duties;
- Be physically fit to perform the duties pertaining to the position;
- Produce evidence of a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the Communities and a satisfactory knowledge of another language of the Communities to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties. b. Candidates must have
- A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies, preferably in the area of Computer Science, attested by a diploma when the normal period of university education is at least 3 years. 4.2 Selection criteria: a. Professional experience: Essential:
- In total at least 6 years of relevant professional work experience in the area of ICT gained following the award of the diploma;
- Out of the 6 years have significant experience in the following areas: o Software development; o Iterative software development methodologies; o Custom-software development and/or integration projects; o Java technologies (both POJO and JEE based); o Application frameworks (eg Spring Framework); o Experience with Apache Tomcat 6 or higher;
- Experience of working in an international, multi-disciplinary environment. Desirable:
- Experience with JMS message providers (ActiveMQ, Websphere MQ, …);
- Experience with Websphere Application Server;
- Experience with High Availability architectures;
- Experience with distributed message based architectures. b. Professional knowledge: Essential:
- Knowledge of and experience in Object Oriented programming;
- Knowledge of UML as a means for capturing and transferring software design information;
- Knowledge of Spring framework;
- Knowledge of POJO and test-driven based development;
- Knowledge of JEE framework with emphasis on Servlet, JSP, JDBC, JMS, XML and web services (contract first);
- Knowledge on design and versioning best practices for web services and how to implement them in a contract first manner;
- Knowledge and experience of working in multiple-developer based projects and using respective tools like code repositories, build tools, test tools and reporting tools.
- Excellent knowledge of eclipse based IDE’s;
- Knowledge of Maven as a build tool;
- Knowledge of Transact SQL;
- Knowledge of XML, XML schema and WSDL design. Desirable:
- Knowledge of continuous integration practices and experience with using a CI-server (eg Team City, Hudson, …);
- Knowledge of secure programming and security in an application server environment (JAAS, Spring Security, …);
- Knowledge about SOA architecture and design;
- Knowledge of ESB based solutions either using an ESB product (e.g. Websphere ESB, Mule ESB) or using ESB-like frameworks (e.g. Apache Camel, Spring Integration,…);
- Knowledge of Enterprise Integration Patterns and Practices;
- Knowledge of iterative development methodology (eg Scrum, MSF, …). d. Social skills and competencies:
- Excellent command of English, both verbally and in writing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively liaise with other units and groups;
- Good communication skills, both verbally and in writing;
- Have a proactive, pragmatic, result driven and problem solving attitude;
- A high level of capability to organise and manage work, including the ability to cope with stress in relation to demanding tasks, heavy workload and time pressure;
- Have a constructive and positive attitude;
- Ability to function both as an independent professional as well as a member of a team;
- Service oriented approach.
5. Salary The successful candidate will be engaged in Function Group IV, grade 13 (EUR 3 145,45), grade 14 (EUR 3 558,90) or grade 16 (EUR 4 555,99), subject to years of professional experience. In line with applicable implementing rules the professional experience gained after the education required for the grades above is as follows: Grade Proven professional experience 13 Up to 7 years 14 More than 7 years 16 More than 20 years In addition, if applicable, allowances such as expatriation allowance, household allowance, dependent child allowance and education allowance may be granted. Europol offers a comprehensive welfare package comprising additional benefits such as medical and unemployment insurance as well as a pension scheme. Salaries are subject to a community tax but exempt from national taxation.
7. Data Protection The data submitted is processed in order to assess the suitability of candidates for a position at Europol. All personal data collected for the purpose of the selection procedure will only be used within this specific context and will not be disclosed to any third party, except for restricted posts in which the application may be transmitted to the National Unit and the respective Liaison Bureau. Any data provided will be treated in the strictest confidence and in full compliance with all applicable data protection rules. The legal basis for the processing of personal data is the Staff Regulations of Officials of the European Communities and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Communities (Title III Chapter 1) and its implementing instruments. All documents provided to Europol will be kept in Europol’s files and will not be returned to the candidate. Applications of non-recruited candidates will be kept for a maximum of two years. Data of non-recruited applicants on the reserve list for appointment will be kept for the duration of the validity of the reserve list. Data of recruited candidates will be transferred to their personal file. The Head of Unit of the Human Resources Unit is responsible for the data processing operation. Candidates have the right to access, rectify, block and erase their personal data in accordance with the applicable data protection rules. Candidates have the right of recourse to the Europol Data Protection Office (Data Protection Office - PO Box 90850, 2509LW The Hague, the Netherlands) and the Joint Supervisory Body (www.europoljsb.consilium.europa.eu). Applications sent to the DPO or JSB will not be processed and deleted.
8. Additional information 8.1 Main dates: Deadline for application: 21 March 2011 Recruitment procedure: to be determined Starting date of employment: as soon as possible. 8.2 Selection procedure The selection procedure will be carried out in accordance with the EUROPOL RECRUITMENT GUIDELINES available on Europol’s website www.europol.europa.eu. 8.3 Contact Details For further details on the application process please call +31 (0) 70 302 5298 or +31 (0) 70 353 1467.
Apply online http://mptool.the-network.com/asp/cs/network/careercenter/default.cfm?offerId=11229&offer_id=11229&destination=apply&compid=43&lng=EN〈=EN&channelId=61
Offer id: 11229