Starboard is a wholly-owned subsidiary of LVMH (Moët Hennessey - Louis Vuitton). Starboard is the world’s largest and leading duty free retailer, operating onboard over 80 cruise ships worldwide with more than 1,000 employees around the world. We offer cruise ship passengers world-class brands and exclusive merchandise with tax and duty free savings. Together with our cruise line partners, our goal is to provide an unforgettable, exciting vacation shopping experience.
In addition to analyzing sales and inventory reports, the retail sales manager will be in charge of motivating and coaching a sales team to help them achieve and exceed the sales goals established by Starboard’s corporate team, headquartered in Miami, FL. The manager will train staff on product knowledge, selling techniques, safety procedures, proper operation of POS systems, proper reporting of potential loss, and on customer service skills.
One of the primary goals of the retail sales manager is to ensure that outstanding guest service is being delivered while promoting high quality retailing standards to ensure customer satisfaction and increased profitability. The retail sales manager will ensure that the merchandise received is displayed correctly based on Visual Merchandising standards. When necessary, the manager will report damaged merchandise or inadequate levels of inventory to management.
Charismatic, Energetic, Fast Learner, Outspoken, Independent, Confident, Sociable, Driven, Assertive, Personable, Self Motivator, Passionate, Intellectual, Adventurous
- 3-5 years retail management experience:
o Relevant experience in an organization where they successfully managed teams of 7 or more direct reports
o Manage a retail operation that generated at least $2M in sales annually (dependent on local currencies and market)
o Reported directly to a multi unit supervisor
- College degree preferred or equivalent experience
- Strong PC skills with Microsoft products:
o Word (ability to utilize Word to letters and reports)
o Excel (ability to utilize Excel to do general calculations)
o PowerPoint for presentations
o Internet (Ability to research business topics)
- Has an in-depth understanding of the retail operations
o Understanding of merchandising (placement of merchandise)
o Merchandise according to sales drivers and corporate visual strategy. Able to provide relevant feedback based on the business
o Basic understanding of visual presentation (store windows, displays, etc)
o Ability to analyze sales and make appropriate adjustments to impact sales (by category, sales to floor ratios, key performance indicators, sales productivity by sales associate)
- Takes initiative and drives his or her own learning and career growth
- Performs a thorough analysis of the problem to identify root cause to effectively resolve issues.
- Looks beyond the obvious to see hidden problems.
- Uses forward thinking to solve problems.
- Solicits ideas and feedback from others to solve problems.
- Coaches others on the team to understand how they impact the company.
- Is thinking ahead of business needs and communicates timely recommendations throughout the organization.
- Anticipate the needs and expectation of a diverse guest population to ensure exceptional guest experiences.
- Actively seeks out guest feedback.
- Models and inspires others to deliver exceptional service.
- Seeks ways for the team and self to exceed service expectations.
- Holds team accountable for delivering exceptional guest service.
- Keeps employees focused on most important goals and objectives and maintains flexibility to shifting demands.
o Able to manage and complete multiple projects at once time in a timely manner by working through a team
- Understands employees’ abilities and effectively utilizes available resources, delegates and empowers.
- Ability to drive sales results by motivating sales associates to achieve individual goals and holding them accountable for sales targets.
- Communicates with the team to understand required resources.
- Establishes processes to effectively monitor progress.
- Follows through to successful completion with a sense of urgency.
- Champions new ideas that lead to superior business results.
- Ability to communicate effectively and proactively with shipboard management.
- Listens carefully and attentively to others.
- Effectively and persuasively informs and communicates.
- Consistently communicates and explains the purpose behind the work.
- Communicates effectively in organization vertically (supervisors and sales associates) and horizontally (peers).
- Proven experience in public speaking.
Coaches & Develops Talent
- Clearly communicates expectations and checks for understanding.
- Obtains employee input to better assess strengths, development needs and potential of team members.
- Looks for opportunities to provide ongoing and timely feedback.
- Ability to effectively and timely address disciplinary and performance issues with team.
- Fosters a climate where employees want to do their best to achieve and excel.
- Is invested in the development of their employees to position them successfully for promotion.
- Consistently develops and administers action plans and ensures successful completion by following up and coaching individuals.
- Fosters a climate of excellence by consistently praising and recognizing the achievement of employees.
Builds High Performance Teams
- Actively promotes teamwork and cooperation to exceed common goals in a culturally diverse environment.
- Cultivates a sense of community and mutual respect between team members.
- Champions a spirit of inclusiveness and a positive work environment.
- Address conflict and disagreements in an appropriate manner and seeing them as opportunities.
- Objectively listens and gathers all relevant facts to resolve conflicts and disagreements effectively and fairly.
- Solicits input from all parties to facilitate agreements.
- Ability to negotiate resources with on-board management.
Builds Professional Relationships
- Ability to build strategic partnerships to exceed goals and objectives.
- Actively develops a broad network of productive business relationships.
- Ability to manage a diverse workforce and drive individual success.
- Effectively collaborates and communicates across work areas.
- Promotes an environment where the personal worth of employees is recognized and individual differences are respected and fully leveraged.
- Able to address difficult or complex situations by developing plans that lead to solutions.
- Is always looking for opportunities to maximize all business results.
- Takes initiative to manage their personal growth and career development.
- Actively seeks feedback from multiple parties and quickly adjusts as necessary.
Planning and Organizing
- Proactively determines timing and objectives of tasks.
- Uses resources effectively.
- Arranges information and files in a thoughtful and useful manner.
- Anticipates problems and prioritizes tasks accordingly.
- Values time and makes objective assessments of the amount of time required to complete tasks.
Ethics & Integrity
- Utilize company policy and procedures in all decision and operational tasks.
- Partner with supervisor on issues outside the scope of policies and procedures.
- Consistently models and acts in accordance with the company’s values.
- Always follows through on commitments.
- Consistently treats others with respect.
Cruise Ship Retail Sales Manager
Would you like to manage a store that moves around the world?
Are you interested in working with and meeting people from other cultures and earn exceptional income?
Do you have a proven track record of maximizing sales results and managing a sales team?
Do you possess strong people skills and focused on the customer experience?
If yes, then this opportunity is for you!
Apply now forwarding your CV in English to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Personnel Managers can communicate in English, Russian and Lithuanian languages.