- Purpose of the post The main role of the ICT Infrastructure and Facilities Unit is the implementation, installation and maintenance of all ICT Infrastructure components for Europol, the Member States and third parties as well as the support of all computerized systems at Europol and the administration of ICT assets. The ICT Infrastructure and Facilities Unit also provides a contact point for services regarding technical enquiries of Member States and Europol staff as well as an interface for facilities management and the coordination and supervision of maintenance, cleaning, construction work and renovations of Europol’s premises and buildings. The successful candidate will work as part of the Data Centre Engineering and Support team within the ICT Infrastructure and Facilities Unit (C1), as a Senior DB/Application Administrator, in charge of IT engineering and support activities for the Europol data centre and server-side computing and storage infrastructure. 3. Tasks and responsibilities The main responsibilities include:
- Contribute to the daily, weekly, monthly and yearly management activities on the deployed databases such as monitoring, maintenance, configuration management, incident and problem resolution;
- Plan and execute the installation of new databases in the production environment;
- Install configure and administer application systems for production and non-production environments;
- Be involved in the operations for the backup and restoration of data;
- Design, implement and maintain operational procedures;
- Produce accurate technical documentation as required;
- Interface with the application maintenance teams for 3rd level escalation and application-level troubleshooting and problem resolution;
- Lead or supervise projects or part of projects for the modification of the configuration, addition or replacement of hardware and software;
- In collaboration with other teams as appropriate, execute feasibility studies, technical designs, and implement new technology solutions;
- Develop procedures, propose and implement new tools and working practices for the continuous improvement of the efficiency and quality of service;
- Plan and perform change management and release management duties for databases and application servers;
- Participate in the technical maintenance of the data centre facilities and equipment;
- Any other duties in the area of competence as assigned by the Head of Unit. This position might require participation in a shift system including weekends and nights as well as participation in on-call duty.
- Eligibility criteria: a. Candidates must
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen;
- Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the applicable laws on military service;
- Produce appropriate character references as to the suitability for the performance of the duties;
- Be physically fit to perform the duties pertaining to the position;
- Produce evidence of a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the Communities and a satisfactory knowledge of another language of the Communities to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties; b. Candidates must have
- A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies, preferably in the area of Computer Science attested by a diploma when the normal period of university education is 4 years or more; OR A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies, preferably in the area of Computer Science attested by a diploma and appropriate professional experience of at least 1 year when the normal period of university education is at least 3 years.
- In addition to the above at least 9 years of relevant professional work experience gained in the area of ICT after the award of the diploma. 4.2 Selection criteria: a. Professional experience:
- Experience of working in a complex ICT environment;
- Line management experience;
- Experience with the coordination and supervision of small teams on ICT engineering and operational support tasks. b. Professional knowledge: Essential:
- General knowledge of core data centre technology components;
- Knowledge of all database administration tasks, including database monitoring and capacity planning;
- Knowledge of MS SQL server;
- Knowledge of backup and restore procedures and technology;
- Knowledge of Java application servers; Desirable:
- Knowledge of mySQL server;
- Logical and physical data modeling;
- Development of stored procedures;
- Knowledge of T-SQL;
- Knowledge of MS Windows Server 2003-2008;
- Knowledge of web-based application architectures. c. Technical skills and competencies: Essential:
- Excellent communication skills in English, both orally and in writing;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills including the ability to anticipate potential problems, determine and implement solution;
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to organize, plan and track assignments for other’s work;
- Execution-focused approach with strong project execution skills and familiarity with project management terminology, methodology. d. Social skills and competencies: Essential:
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work well under pressure, both independently and in a team;
- High level of customer-orientation;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers in an international and multi-disciplinary work environment.
AD8 The basic monthly salary is EUR 6 299,95 (step 1) or EUR 6 564,69 (step 2). The step in grade is determined on the basis of professional experience gained after the education required for the position and in line with applicable implementing rules. In addition, if applicable, allowances such as expatriation allowance, household allowance, dependent child allowance and education may be granted. Europol offers a comprehensive welfare package comprising additional benefits such as medical insurance, unemployment and invalidity allowance as well as a pension scheme. Salaries are subject to a community tax but exempt from national taxation.
Terms and conditions. Probation period Engagement for this position is subject to the successful completion of a probationary period of 6 months. Within this period the successful candidate will have to undergo a post-related security screening. Europol reserves the right to terminate the contract of employment during or at the end of the probation period in accordance with Article 14 of CEOS. Security screening and certificate of good conduct In order to ensure that all candidates who have successfully passed a selection procedure comply with the security standards and do not have a criminal record we request all successful candidates to apply for a national “certificate of good conduct” at the time an offer of employment is made. The certificate of good conduct provides evidence that the candidate is suitable to be employed by Europol. However, the national certificate of good conduct does not substitute a full security clearance that must be carried out for all Europol staff in accordance with the clearance level determined for the position. Contract of employment The successful candidate will be recruited as Temporary Agent AD 8 pursuant to Article 2 (a) of CEOS, for a period of 5 years. The contract may be renewed. The place of employment will be The Hague, The Netherlands. For further information on terms and conditions please consult the EC Staff Regulations which are available on Europol’s website www.europol.europa.eu.
Data protection The data submitted is processed in order to assess the suitability of candidates for a position at Europol. All personal data collected for the purpose of the selection procedure will only be used within this specific context and will not be disclosed to any third party, except for restricted posts in which the application may be transmitted to the National Unit and the respective Liaison Bureau. Any data provided will be treated in strict confidence and in full compliance with all applicable data protection rules. The legal basis for the processing of personal data are the Staff Regulations of Officials and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Communities (Title III Chapter 1) and their implementing rules. All documents provided to Europol will be kept in Europol’s files and will not be returned to the candidate. Applications of non-recruited candidates will be kept for a maximum of two years. Data of non-recruited applicants on the reserve list for appointment will be kept for a maximum of two years after the expiry of the reserve list. Data of recruited candidates will be transferred to their personal file. The Head of Unit of the Human Resources Unit is responsible for the data processing operation. Candidates have the right to access, rectify, block and erase their personal data in accordance with the applicable data protection rules. Candidates have the right of recourse to the Europol Data Protection Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) and the Joint Supervisory Body (www.europoljsb.consilium.europa.eu).
Deadline for application: 16 March 2011 Recruitment procedure: to be determined Starting date of employment: to be determined 8.2 Selection procedure The selection procedure will be carried out in accordance with the EUROPOL RECRUITMENT GUIDELINES available on Europol’s website www.europol.europa.eu. 8.3 Contact Details For further details on the application process please call +31 (0) 70 302 5298 or +31 (0) 70 302 5075.
Apply online http://mptool.the-network.com/asp/cs/network/careercenter/default.cfm?offerId=10921&offer_id=10921&destination=apply&compid=43&lng=EN〈=EN&channelId=61
Offer id: 10921
Reference id: Europol/2011/TA/AD8/039