Employer: ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES Ltd.
Position Title: Sommelier
Reports To: Head Sommelier/Assistant Maître d’s
Direct Reports: N/A
Promotes and provides an excellent wine service to our guests. Improves and maintains wine sales.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
To support Celebrity Cruises’ mission of becoming “the world’s ultimate premium cruise line with a taste of luxury,” all duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with Celebrity Cruises’ Pillars of Safety, Service and Style, ISM/ISO and SQM standards, USPH guidelines, and environmental regulations.
Each shipboard employee may be required to perform all functions in various service venues and throughout the ship.
1. In accordance with Celebrity Cruises’ Pillars of Safety, Service and Style, as well as through Celebrity Connections, each employee conducts oneself in a professional and courteous manner at all times. This consists of physical and verbal interactions with guests or fellow shipboard employees and/or in the presence of guest contact and Celebrity Family Member (CFM) areas.
2. Provides wine service to guests in the restaurant and buffet restaurant. In some cases will be responsible for providing bar services other than wine.
3. Works in a station designated by the Head Sommelier and approved by the Restaurant Manager and follows the daily schedule, which is posted weekly in the wine cellar.
4. In addition to serving wine his/her duties include the re-stocking of the wine cellar on a daily basis, and once a week may be requested to work during the loading of wines onto to the ship.
5. Ensures personal appearance, personal hygiene and uniform appearance are at all times in accordance with the company policy.
6. Should be knowledgeable about the wine list and able to discuss and suggest wines to guests who ask for advice. The knowledge of how to pair wine with food is imperative.
7. Has a clear understanding of the company’s service standards.
8. Applies salesmanship techniques in order to achieve maximum sales, which will result in higher personal compensation.
9. Must be able to reach reasonable and attainable sales targets set by the company. This requires self-confidence and commitment to the sales goals.
10. Reports all guests’ queries, discrepancies or suggestions to his/her immediate supervisor. Must have full knowledge of the cashless system on board the ship in order to process all transactions accordingly.
11. Duties include the cleaning and sanitizing of his/her working area and working utensils following the United States Public Health rules and regulations and all times.
12. Must be available to work extra duties or longer hours if necessary.
13. Other duties related to the Bar Department may be assigned from time to time.
14. Is aware of, and/or acquires the necessary knowledge to comply with the ship’s standard operation, in order to assist guests and CFMs with inquiries.
15. Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities as required.
16. Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
Financial responsibilities for budget, expenses and/or achievement of revenue targets.
- This position is responsible for cost containment through the proper use, handling and maintenance of records, reports, supplies and equipment.
- Ensures that guests are charged for pertinent special requests and services.
You can apply for this job if you are:
- At least 21 years of age
- speak good English
- are hospitable and friendly person
- having relevant experience
Minimum hiring, language and physical requirements to perform the job.
- Minimum of five years beverage-related experience (shipboard experience preferred), or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Completion of high school or basic education equivalency required.
- Ability to analyze and interpret documents such as recipes and manuals.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, tips, proportions, percentages.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Internal Candidate Requirements:
In addition to the stated hiring requirements, internal candidates are required to fulfill the following:
- Completion of a minimum of two contracts as Bar Server/Restaurant Waiter with a performance rating of satisfactory or above, along with demonstrated leadership skills.
- Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with guests.
- Ability to read and write English in order to understand and interpret written procedures. This includes the ability to give and receive instructions in written and verbal forms and to effectively present information and respond to questions from guests, supervisors and co-workers.
- Ability to speak additional languages such as Spanish, French or German preferred.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- All shipboard employees must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. Full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats. Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Luxury cruise ships sailing around the World - combine work and travel, but be ready for hard work!
Work experience in International Company
Food, accommodation, and medical insurance expenses are covered by the company
Permanent job with 6 months contracts followed by 2 months vacation
Ability to speak additional languages such as Spanish, French, Italian or German preferred
Apply now forwarding your CV in English to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Personnel Managers can communicate in English, Russian and Lithuanian languages.
SKYPE WEB CAMERA INTERVIEWS WILL BE CONDUCTED